Typography Project 4 Step 1. This is webpage design. In this particular assignment, we’re going to begin designing a basic webpage. It will be a single column page, and we will be focusing specifically on the hierarchy of the typography. You each need to choose your own article. For this example I’m going to use an article found on I Love Typography. Com. Which is a wonderful website that is maintained by John Boardily. This article is licensed under the creative commons, it allows you to use this as long as you’re crediting the person. If you are using other content on the web and copying it from the web, you do need to make sure that you have copyright permission. As a student you shouldn’t have any problem. You don’t need to request permission, but you cannot use it in any way that is for commercial purpose. So if you have any reason for using anything commercially, you need to make sure that you check with the copyright holder.

In this article, I’m going to select this type. Just click and drag to the top and bottom. It takes a little bit on my screen here, so I’m going to have this already selected. Edit, copy. We’ll select everything that’s there. You’ll notice that the photos are selected. When you copy from the interent, it’s only going to select the type, so that’s all you need to worry about. So I select it from the beginning to the end there.

Now I’m going to go to InDesign. In InDesign, I’m going to create a new document, file, new, document. I want this document to not be facing pages. We’re going to do single pages. Number of pages is going to be 2. I want it to be letter sized, one column, the margins I don’t want them to be the same. I unlock it and do top 6, which is 6 picas or 1 inch. Bottom 6, 6 picas or 1 inch. On the left we’re going to do 10 picas. That gives us a reasonable column width for a line width for the length of reading a line. Then we’ll say ok.

On this first page, select the type tool. Click and drag a text box, and then paste. Edit, paste. When you do this, it will paste on the first page, but you’ll notice that it will put a little plus here. So I select the direct select tool, then click on the plus, go to page 2, double click, and then hold shift. Look at the icon, see how it changes from text to an S continue? This is an autoflow situation. It will flow the text and take as many pages as you need. Remember that you only need three pages. If it has more pages than that, don’t worry about it, because you’ll just use the first three pages, but you can set it all if you like.

You’ll notice that once we set this text, that there are additional spaces. So we need to clean up this text a little before we move on. To clean up this text, we’ll use find and replace to replace some of the spaces here. If you ever find yourself doing space, space, space or return, return, return to do spacing in typography, that’s not the way you set type. Type is set very specifically.

I’ll click right at the beginning of the paragraph. Right here at the end. You’ll notice that it selects 2 little pieces right here. Then I’ll copy, edit, copy. You can use shortcuts if you’d like. What this copied is it copied 2 paragraph returns. Here under type, if I go to show hidden characters, those are the paragraph returns, so every time you hit return it will put an automatic paragraph. The dot stands for space. We’ll turn that off.

Now I’m going to replace this 2 paragraph return with one paragraph return. Edit, find/change. Have document selected here. Pastes, and it will paste 2 paragraph returns, and paste then you want to delete one of those paragraphs right here. Then we will click change all. It searches the document and found 23 replacements.

Then you want to do change all again, and you’ll see that it did 6 replacements. That means that there were some replacements where there were 3 line returns. So say ok and repeat the process Once it says 0 replacements, then we need to examine the copy one more time. So we’ll say done here, and look at the text.

Double clicking on the hand tool reduces so you can see the whole page. SO this dropped us down to 2 pages. For this basic example, it should work. Now what we’ve done is copy and pasted the article, and we’ve removed all the additional spaces. We’ve done this so that we can set the type and make all the choices and decisions, we don’t want anything to be default for us. When I say default, I mean what the computer chooses for us. We want to make all the choices. Complete this step and then we’ll continue with the next step which will be paragraphing character styles.